UPCOMING CHALLENGE:

1. Macarons...Part II Photobucket [on hold]

2. Caramel. :P

3. Cooking on a budget: £30 a week

Search This Blog

February 1, 2010

Challenge: Butter Chicken (Part 2)



Due to time restraints, I definitely made some questionable choices that affected the end result.


#1: I cooked the chicken in the sauce on the stove. They were supposed to be baked first. The meat got pretty tough. Letting it simmer in the sauce in a pan made it overcooked; all the juices ran out into the sauce instead of sealed in when baked. So having marinating the chicken in the yogurt (which makes the meat tender) was a waste of time.


#2: For this dish, pureeing tomatoes with your own blender is not the same as a can of tomato sauce. Fresh tomatoes were watery, sour and not concentrated enough. The dish did not have the bright reddish colour that I love about butter chicken. More importantly, I had to add extra sugar to get rid of the sourness. Plus, when I mixed it with the yogurt mixture, the water and the pureed fibre separated in the pan, making the butter chicken appear kind of nasty and grainy...instead of thick and smooth.


Considering it as my first attempt at Indian cooking, it turned out pretty well. It was quite flavourful. I'd probably make it again but not too soon, especially knowing how much butter and whipping cream was used!

1 comment:

  1. MmmmmMMmmm creamy butter chicken. My Favourite indian dish. All you are missing is a slice of naan and a mango lassie.... mmmmmmmMMmmm Indian paradise.

    ReplyDelete